Monday, May 30, 2011

What Does the Rock Badger Have to Do with Me?

"The rock badgers are a people not mighty,
yet they make their homes in the cliffs."
Proverbs 30:26

"The rock badger is a rare little animal that resides in parts of Southern Africa and the extreme southwestern part of Asia. The South Africans refer to him as the rock "˜dassie', a word which comes from the Dutch for badger.

The rock badger is a curious little creature that has features that are a mixture of other animals. It has the incisors of a rodent, the molars of a rhino, the vascular system of a whale and the feet of an elephant.

The rock badger makes his home in crags and crevices of rocky outcrops and cliffs. Such a home is ideal for him. As he is slow moving he is a natural target for predators. His inhospitable environment, however, ensures that enemies keep their distance. The home of the rock badger also provides ideal protection from wind and rain. For these reasons the badger spends most of his time in his rocky home. The only time he will venture forth is when he goes out looking for food ."
http://www.essortment.com/rock-badger-63977.html

"Hyraxes [rock badgers] typically live in groups of 10–80 animals, and forage as a group. Their most striking behaviour is the use of sentries: one or more animals take up position on a vantage point and issue alarm calls on the approach of predators."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Hyrax

I couldn't find a picture that wasn't copyrighted, but you may look at an adorable picture of a rock badger at http://www.flickr.com/photos/60133763@N05/5758023342/.

Isn't it so interesting how God paints such beautiful word pictures for us? And isn't it interesting also, that many times it takes more than just a quick reading of the Scriptures to understand what He is trying to tell us? Many verses in Proverbs 30 are just such verses for me. And yet a second look, a dig (or sometimes an excavation!) will bring to light a gem of truth that we can hold dear to us. Now what does this little creature have to do with me?

He makes his home in the rocks.

So must I.

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock,
in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2

His home is ideal protection from his enemies.

So is my Stronghold for me.

"Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me, yet I will be confident."
Psalm 27:3

His stronghold protects him from the wind and rain.

When the storms of life assail me, I can be confident that my Rock
will protect me through those storms.
(Notice that I did not say, "From those storms!" Oh, they come, alright!)


"Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall,
because it had been founded on the rock."

Matthew 7:24-25

He finds protection and sustenance in a group of like kind.

As a child of God, it is very important to spend quality
and quantity time with those of like mind.

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another,
and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."
Hebrews 10:24-25

Isn't it wonderful what that little verse has to say to us? I'm sure that it says much more, but like the rock badger, I'm pretty slow.......

Hiding in the Rock of Ages,
Gloria




0 comments:

Post a Comment