Friday, May 20, 2011

That illusive word: Peace

"Mark the blameless and behold the upright,
for there is a future for the man of peace."
Psalm 37:37

I tend to be a "peace at all costs" kind of girl. To a fault. I hate strife--in the home, in the church, in the world. I can remember once in college being asked the question, "If you could have anything you wanted, what would it be?" My answer: peace among all people. I think at the time it sounded pompous to say that when I could have said any frivolous thing that a typical college student might say. In fact, I was almost laughed at! But that just shows the extent to which I hate strife.

Yet the Scriptures say much about seeking peace:

"Turn away from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it."

Psalm 34:19
"Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil,
but those who plan peace have joy."
Proverbs 12:20

Peace, on the surface seems so illusive:

We are to seek peace
but
in this world there is no peace.
"In this world you shall have tribulation..."
(John 16:33)

Peacemakers are happy
"Blessed are the peacemakers"
(Matthew 5:9)
but
"There is no peace"
Ezekial 13:10

Jesus is the "Prince of Peace"
Isaiah 9:6
but
He said, "I did not come to bring peace, but the sword"
Matthew 10:34

Yet
Jesus gives us peace
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you."

How then, can we be peacemakers? How do we pursue peace? How do we know peace in a fallen world that will never know peace until the return of our Lord?

Know the fruit of the Spirit in our lives:
"The fruit of the Spirit is peace." Galatians 5:22

Give everything to God in prayer.
"And the peace of God, which passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

Do good.
"There will be...glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good."
Romans 2:10

Be ready always to share the gospel.
"And having your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace."
Ephesians 6:15

Know intimately the God of Peace.
"For He Himself is our peace"
Ephesians 2:15

Our quest for peace is impossible without the Prince of Peace. I pray that you know Him.

As we seek the peace that passes all understanding,
Gloria


2 comments:

Cranberry Morning

Thank you for your encouraging words, Gloria, and for always backing up your words with Scripture. Lately I've been reminded of Luke 12:51-53 along with Matt. 10:34. And at the same time, that we have a gracious, longsuffering, and merciful God who always does what is right. That gives me peace.

And you, my friend, give me encouragement. :-)

LV

I am with you 100%. However, I blame my age on wanting so much peace and quiet now. I have been by myself so long, when I am in a crowd of loud people, drives me nuts.

Post a Comment