Thursday, May 12, 2011

His hand, His voice, and His face

One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I
may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple.
Psalm 27:4

In verse 4 of Psalm 27 David asked to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life. Verse 5 tells us why he wanted to dwell there.
He was seeking God's hand!

"For He will hide me in His shelter in the day of trouble; He will conceal me under the cover of His tent; He will lift me high upon a rock."
Psalm 27:5

David needed help from the Lord, the Hand of protection. He had no qualms about asking God for help--over and over and over again.
That encourages me and gives me hope for my own needy life!

The king also sought to hear His voice.

"Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!"
Psalm 27:7

First he cried out to God. Before we hear His answer we must ask the question. Have you ever been so desperate to hear God's voice (the still, small voice that shouts words of comfort or answers a prayer)? It is imperative that we pray--and then listen. God speaks to us through His Word and through the inner promptings of His Holy Spirit that resides in us, His temple. Don't EVER expect His answer to be different from what He has already said in His Word!

King David was diligent to seek God's face.

"You have said, 'Seek my face.' My heart says to you, 'Your face,
Lord, do I seek.' Hide not your face from me.'
Psalm 27:8-9a

I so desire for God to smile on me. That's okay; so did David. Oh, that my life may be pure and free from perpetual sin so that God will continually smile on me. How glorious to think that we may have the smile of our Father!

The Psalmist then waited.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart
take courage; wait for the Lord!"
Psalm 27:14

We don't always see the Lord's hand immediately. Sometimes we have to wait......
We don't always hear His voice as soon as we ask. Sometimes we have to wait......
Sometimes His smile seems obscured by the cares of this life. Sometimes we have to wait......

Believing that "I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living,"
Gloria

0 comments:

Post a Comment