Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For His Name's Sake

"He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."
Psalm 23:3

Have you ever taken your children somewhere public and been totally embarrassed by their actions? (I know, I know......I'm the only one who has ever experienced that! :o( ) If you are like me, at the time you were not really thinking about their future and the great people that you desire them to be; you were thinking about how very embarrassed you are that those little buggers would act like that. You were thinking about what everyone else was thinking about your mothering skills. You were thinking that if you could just find a place to make yourself invisible, you would. You were thinking............very unpleasant thoughts!

I know that Psalm 23:3 is probably not an epiphany to you and that you have noticed it many times. You, as I have, quote this Psalm from memory, and have done so often. But this morning I noticed something that has never stood out to me before (I'm a bit slow), but I believe it is so very important.

"For His name's sake"

Why is the Lord my Shepherd? For His name's sake. I don't deserve to be a part of His pasture.

Why do I not lack any good thing? For His name's sake. What provision!

Why does He lead me to green pastures? For His name's sake. He has chosen to love me.

Why does He lead me beside waters of rest? For His name's sake. Without Him I would be drowning in the flood of sin and despair.

Why does He restore my soul? For His name's sake. He makes me into His sheep.

Why does He lead me in paths of righteousness? For His name's sake! Me, a naughty child, often embarrassing to my Father. Through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, He has declared me righteousness. All for His glory.

"For our sake He make Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that
in Him we might become the righteousness of God."

2 Corinthians 5:21

"But God demonstrated His love toward us, in that while we
were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8


Undeserving as I am, He has chosen to use me for His glory. Wow! What a desire that places in my sinful heart to live for Him in such a way that His name, His reputation, is honored.

"For his name's sake. Seeing he hath taken upon him the name of a "Good Shepherd", he will discharge his part, whatever his sheep be. It is not their being bad sheep that can make him leave being a "Good Shepherd", but he will be "good", and maintain the credit of "his name" in spite of all their badness; and though no benefit come to them of it, yet there shall glory accrue to him by it, and "his name" shall nevertheless be magnified and extolled."
Sir Richard Baker.

As we live to bring Him glory,
Gloria

2 comments:

Belinda

You know Gloria, sometimes I'm amazed, (and I shouldn't be) at what God puts on your heart and shares through your keyboard.

Charity

No, you're not the only one. But I pray that they will grow up to love and honor Him for His glory and His name's sake. Thanks for helping me teach and train my little buggers for the King.

Post a Comment