Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ever Felt Forsaken?

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest."
Psalm 22:1-2




This Messianic Psalm (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34), I believe, was also a prayer of David for himself. And there have been a few times in my life when I thought the same thoughts, when this prayer was a reflection of my heart. Has it ever been yours?

"I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest....."(verse 2)

I can feel the intensity of David's pain as he cries out to God in this prayer. He groans; he cries out night and day; he finds no rest. Yet I see him, each time he makes his complaint to God, going back to WHO GOD IS.

"
Yet you are holy....in you they trusted and were not put to shame."(verses 3,5).

David remembers the holiness of God and His deliverance of Israel in the past. A lesson for us: Don't forget what God has done in the past. As we look back we can see many ways that He has rescued us. And we must never forget that He is a holy God, without error, with purpose for everything in our lives.

"I am a worm and not a man, scorned...despised...mock[ed]..."(verses 6,7).

He is ridiculed for his faith in God (verse 8). Those who don't know Him will not understand that our faith is much deeper than just what is seen. But we must remember that faith is "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 12:1)

"Yet you are He who took me from the womb.........and from my mother's womb you have been my God."(verses 9.10)

He remembers from where he came. We who have placed our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ can rest assured that our God has us in His care.

"........trouble is near, and there is none to help..........."(verses 11-18).

It seems there is no way out of the trouble David is in. Ever felt that way? Ever just wanted to give up?


"But you, O Lord, do not be far off! O you my help, come quickly to my aid!" (verses 19-21)

He remembers the One who has always been there, who is the ONLY One who can deliver him from his distress. The Lord tells us, "....be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 40:31)

"You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen!" (verse 21)

The Psalmist professes the salvation of the Lord. It appears in this Psalm that deliverance had not yet come to David, yet he is declaring his rescue in advance. As we remember God's past care for us, we may declare in advance that He will take care of us once again.

"I will tell of your name to my brothers......
From you comes my praise in the great congregation......." (verses 22,25)

He proclaims his testimony to those around him. As we trust our Heavenly Father, we are responsible to proclaim His greatness in our lives, especially during the hard times
.

"They shall come and proclaim His righteousness to a people yet unborn, that He has done it."
(verse 31)

The end result?
Coming generations will recognize and praise God for His help and provision.

Trusting Him together during the difficult times as well as the easy,
Gloria


0 comments:

Post a Comment