Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cease and Stray

"Cease to hear instruction, my son,
and you will stray from the words of knowledge."

Proverbs 19:27

Several years ago we received a call from a dear friend. Her husband of many years had just left her for another woman. We had only been to see them a few months before, and outwardly everything seemed fine. She had no idea at the time.

This man was chairman of their church's elder board, the one who stepped in for the pastor when he was away, the one who preached while they were searching for a new pastor. This was a great guy!

Until he ceased to listen to instruction.

We wrote to him (they lived in another country). We begged him to reconsider, that not only was he indulging in sinful pleasure, but that he was abandoning his wife, his grown children, and his grandchildren. We said he was deserting the God of his youth by doing this terrible thing. He humbly[?] agreed--and left anyway. He now has no relationship with his grandchildren, and it took years for his wife to adjust to living alone. She has never "gotten over" it.

He strayed from the words of knowledge.

The only way that we can be assured of our next step is to embrace the Word of God fully.
Job said,
"I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my portion of food."
Job 23:12

The Psalmist said,
"Your Word have I hid in my heart,
that I might not sin against you."
Psalm 119:11


I won't dwell on my friend and his sin.
But how does this apply to me?
Surely I would never do anything like that!

"Cease to hear instruction, my [daughter],
and you will stray from the words of knowledge."
Proverbs 19:27

Oh, how I fear what might happen if God's Word
is not hidden in my heart!
I MUST NEVER fail to hear His instruction!


My children, my grandchildren, I beg you not to forsake the instruction of the Lord!

"For with You is the fountain of life;
in Your light do we see light."

Psalm 36:9

As we heed the instruction of His Word,
and long for the light of His continual presence,
Gloria


2 comments:

Cranberry Morning

What a sad story of your friend and his wife. How we are lured away from the only Source of true and lasting joy for fleeting 'pleasures.' In His presence there is fullness of joy. God has given us everything for life and happiness. Outside God's sphere for our lives is certain destruction. Look how his sin has affected all of those around him. And you are right - we need to take these things as lessons for ourselves, for we too can fall if our eyes are not on Jesus.

Ann

I believe that satan is trying his best to lure christians away at this very moment. We have a dear couple in our life group from our church who are divorcing after 20 years. After he strayed she has NO desire to even try to mend their relationship.
Wonderful post for us all to never forsake His instruction.

Post a Comment