Friday, August 5, 2011

Purity

"My son, be attentive  to my wisdom;
incline your ear to my understanding,
that you may keep  discretion,
and your lips may guard knowledge.
  For the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey,
and her speech is smoother than oil."  
Proverbs 5:1-3

I have consistently avoided verses like this since I have been in the Proverbs because my readers are most likely mostly Christian women.  Yet these devotionals are written for the benefit of my grandchildren (as I pull them all together someday), and besides that, they are inspired by God  for all of us.  So here goes!

A very interesting word in the beginning of verse 3 is "For."  

Why are we to be attentive  to the wisdom of God and listen to the understanding that He has available to us? 

So that we can be discreet and knowledgeable.  
Why do we want to be discreet and knowledgeable? 
FOR (because) there are forbidden women (or men)) out there whose lips drip honey and whose speech is smoother than oil.

Grandchildren, don't think that because you have been brought up in a Christian home, home schooled and all, that temptation doesn't wait around every corner.  Ladies, don't assume that because you are a homemaker and don't go anywhere much that you are immune.  Interestingly enough, Satan provides the opportunity even within the home for us to succumb to temptation.  Without the discretion and knowledge that is provided through attentiveness to our Father's wisdom, we will likely succumb to temptation.  Some helpful verses come to mind as I think about this passage:

Matthew 5:28--"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart."  (Okay, so maybe we housewives do need to heed the Proverbs concerning this.  A man who causes us to have lustful thoughts is also enticing us to sin!)  Does that include what we watch on television, the movies, or see in books and magazines?  Do we have to leave our homes for this to happen? No, we don't.

James 1:14-15--"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.  Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death." (Uh-oh.  I can't blame this on the devil?)

1 Corinthians 10:12--"Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall." (No more, "I can handle this on my own" for me.)

I'm going to end with one of my favorite verses in Scripture.  I have likely used it before, but that's okay.  Repetition is the key to learning, and I want to learn this message.

Philippians 4:8--"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

And I'm sure that Solomon would have agreed with Paul on this verse:
Philippians 4:9--"What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

As we grow in purity,
Gloria







1 comments:

Angelia

yes, it can come into your home without invitation. be on guard. defend your morals in response to sinful suggestions.

Post a Comment