Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Memorize It!

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight."  
Proverbs 9:10

So much of our time is spent doing the "urgent" things that we often miss out on the most important things in life.  If you have a chance (see, there I go!) read the little article "Tyranny of the Urgent". It will give you great insight into our way of life here in the good 'ole USA.

All of that to say, I have been remiss in doing something that I really love to do, and that is Scripture memory.  So I have decided to renew my habit of old, and as long as I am in the Proverbs, I shall memorize specific verses from that book.  My verse for today is Proverbs 9:10.
Oh, you have a hard time memorizing Scripture?  Well, do I have a solution for you!  It appears to me that if God wants us to hide His Word in our hearts, then He will enable us to do so.  Doesn't that make sense to you?  I began memorizing on a consistent basis about 42 years ago when I was a young bride.  We lived in Taiwan, and our pastor quoted many of the verses he used in his sermons.  We asked him how learned to memorize so many verses, and he sent us to the Navigators New Topical Memory System.  Not only will it teach you how to memorize Scripture so that you never forget it, but it will also change your life with the verses that you memorize.  You will use them more than often in your daily walk.  Please take a look at it.

If you find memorization easy for you, you might like to know how I store the verses that I am memorizing.  I use a 3x5 index card holder (2 ring binder) and two-holed index cards.  I write out my verses, and voila--a memory verse holder!  I'm then able to go back and review without having to look them up.  (A hint from the New Topical Memory System--one of the biggest keys to memorization is review, review, review.)

Please consider Scripture memory as a daily part of your life.  It only takes a few minutes and is much more rewarding than reading a magazine or watching a tv program.  You can still do that; just watch one less program or read one less chapter in your book.

Hiding it in my heart,
Gloria


2 comments:

Angelia

i need to do this. the computer is my crutch.
it amazes me those, like marge nosek, who could quote scripture with no struggle at all.

Charity

I still remember doing the Topical Memory System when I was just 4 or 5 years old...all gathered around the coffee table in the living room. Still can quote some of those verses 30 something years later. Thanks mom and dad!

Post a Comment