Monday, February 27, 2012

Mind Exercise for the Right Kind of Food


   Teach me your way, O LORD,
        that I may walk in your truth;
        unite my heart to fear your name.
    I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
        and I will glorify your name forever.
    For great is your steadfast love toward me;
        you have delivered my soul from the depths of sheol.
Psalm 86:11-13 

Sometimes I find myself praying ridiculous prayers like, "Lord help me to lose weight," when I have no good intent to compromise my eating or to get more exercise.  I just want God to help me lose weight, not to starve myself or to get sweaty!  But alas, when I do that my prayers go unanswered.  I'm sure they are in one Holy ear and out the other, and for good reason.  I am not being obedient to the Lord in the area of overeating.  Yes, gluttons are mentioned in the Scriptures!  "For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty; and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."(Proverbs 23:21)
As I read this passage in the Psalms I considered the fact that just as I must eat less and exercise more in order for God to help me with my weight, in the same light I must exercise my mind more by reading the Scriptures in order for God to answer my prayer and teach me His way.  He has given me His Word, of which Job said, "I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food (Job 23:12).  The more we condition ourselves to exercise our minds with the daily food of God's Word, the more we will know His way, and the more united our hearts will be to fear His name. Through the Bible, the Holy Trinity in written form, we learn more about this "great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love Him and keep His commandments (Nehemiah 1:5).

He deserves our utmost care in exercising our minds for His spiritual food so that we may know His ways.  After all, He is the One who has delivered our souls from eternal damnation.

On Weight Watchers, by the way,
Gloria

2 comments:

Angelia

Good post. I'm not on weight watchers but on the cough watchers diet, lol. I know the temptation of food is great. Try sitting next to a buttered popcorn eater at the movies and knowing you better not eat any. oh the smell of it.. sigh. our desire for the word should be just as inticing.

Belinda

Everywhere I look God is telling me to eat less and exercise more. To spend more time with Him than doing my own thing. This just showed me once again that He means business! Guess I'd better start getting serious about this health thing... Thanks Gloria.

Post a Comment