Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I'm Hungry, Daddy!

  
  I am the LORD your God,
        who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
        Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
Psalm 81:10 

There is just something special about baby birds.  They are noisy, messy, and have a voracious appetite, keeping mom and dad both scurrying for food to place in their wide open beaks.  We have a bird house in a tree close enough to the backyard deck that houses several sparrow families each spring and summer.  There is a great lesson in watching those little birds.
  
I have never seen one of them reject the food that the parent brought.  They just open their mouths wide and let them be filled.  Their confidence in the parent is unconditional, and their never-ending appetites are filled faithfully by the unrelenting mom or dad.  They don't wander off looking for something better.  (Okay, they can't, but we'll leave that part out for the sake of comparison!)  But I must say that those little creatures seem to enjoy every little bit of worm or seed that they are presented.  They are totally dependent on parents who are committed to caring for them.

Thus so with our God, the Creator of the universe, the Maker of all good things.  He promised Israel that if they would open wide their mouths, He, their Father, their Deliverer, their Protector, their Sustainer would fill them.  But what did they do?

“But my people did not listen to my voice;
        Israel would not submit to me.
    So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts,
        to follow their own counsels.
Psalm 81:11-12

They didn't like God's food for them!  How can one not like what the Master Chef has prepared?  (We know, don't we?)  And yet I do not understand why we are like that.  Oh yes, God tells us;  we have stubborn hearts.  We prefer the candy of Egypt to the green beans that God has lovingly prepared for us .   Oh, but if we just open our eyes, we will see what the Father has prepared for us.

      But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
        and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.”
Psalm 81:16

I like honey and fine wheat.  Today I must rely on my Father to satisfy me with His food.

Hungry,
Gloria







1 comments:

Angelia

love the green beans analogy. i love my daily bread from Him

Post a Comment