Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dig, Dig, Dig!

"Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise."

Proverbs 1:6-7

This is an interesting beginning to a book of proverbs by a wise man. It seems that he would want the simple and the youth to understand easily what he was saying, that he would make it clear and concise, a picture readily discerned with all the right colors painted in all the right places. Yet much of the Proverbs, as well as the sayings of Jesus, is a masterful parable or riddle that must be excavated in order to glean the most from its truth.

One of my greatest desires is to see my children and grandchildren dig deep into the Scriptures. One of the grandkids wants to be an archaeologist. I want them to be archaeologists of the Scriptures!

The Psalmist said,

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; {like an archaeologist--my thought on that!}; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

Psalm 119:9-11

There are those who see but don't perceive. In Proverbs 1 alone they are referred to as fools, simple, sinners, and scoffers. Is it possible for those people to understand the truths of wisdom? Yes, but they too must get their Spiritual shovels and dig, dig, dig. If you can read this page, there are no worthy excuses for not getting down and dirty in the soil of God's Word.

"If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you."
Proverbs 11:23


Archaeologists of the Word, get out your shovels. There are jewels to be found!

Digging together,
Gloria


5 comments:

Linda Stubbs

I would say you are a digger sweet lady. Great treasures you have found. Love Psalm 119:9-11. Thank you so for sharing.

Is it hot out at your place? We are here...........nasty! Can't turn on the air yet.

Started my Building Our Homes together today. Please pray as we start this.

Hugs sweetie friend, Linda

Angelia

hey i think buddy must have read your blog to get his sermon idea.

Anonymous

Hi! I am here from Prairie Flower Farm. I wanted to let you know that I like your analogy of an Archaeologist of the Word - thanks for sharing! Heather

Prairiemaid

Becoming an archaeologist of the WORD! What a lovely idea.

Blessings,
Cheryl

Heather's Blog-o-rama

Hi :) :) I'm visiting from Linda's blog over at Prairie Flower Farm. I love you put it in this post...being archeologists of the Scriptures ;) :) It's the foundation for everything in life ;) :) I"m also participating in Linda's "Building Our Homes Together" series :) :) Have a great day. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Post a Comment