Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Stop and Ask

Lost as usual
"Does not wisdom call?  Does not understanding raise her voice?  On the heights beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand, beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud."
Proverbs 8:1-3

The other day I was on my way to an unfamiliar place.  I've already told you that I am directionally challenged, so this is not an unusual occurrence for me, but I came to something of a crossroads and didn't know which way to go.  Now my husband would rather cut off his right arm than to stop and ask for directions, mainly because he has this uncanny sense of direction that can get him almost anywhere--even if he has never been there before.  As for me, the nearest gas station was calling out, raising its voice, begging me to come in and ask for the right way to go.  So I did.  And I went the right way and made it safely to my final destination. 
I love gas stations!

Just as I personified the gas station, the Scriptures in Proverbs 8 personifies wisdom.  She speaks to us, she calls, she raises her voice and cries out to us.  In my own mind I often see the ability to make wise choices somewhat like the brass ring that can never quite be grasped.  Just beyond my reach.  Yet this passage is not portraying a brass ring, but a very attainable thing.  
Wisdom is crying out to us.  
God tells us through personification about this wonderful attendant that promises to show us the right way to travel.

"And now, O sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways.  Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it.  Blessed is the one who 
listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. 
For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord."
Proverbs 8:32-35

I am so happy that I stopped at the gas station that was calling to me.

I am so happy I listened to the directions. 

I am so glad that I didn't neglect them. 

I am so happy that I found the right way!  

If something so simple as asking directions and following them gave me such assurance and understanding, just think what I will gain by listening to the advice of the Wisdom of God.  He has laid out His road map before us.  Let's follow it precisely.

Stopping and asking,
Gloria

2 comments:

LV

I am like you. It does not bother me to ask for directions. It is better than getting all frustrated trying to figure things out on you own.

Cranberry Morning

Wisdom so available, but humbling ourselves to ask? That's the sticking point.

Post a Comment