Preserve me O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you." ...
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance...
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
This is one of my favorite Psalms. It encourages me to consider some very important and freeing truths, especially during those times when the trials of life are pressing in:
- God is the One who preserves and protects me. I can fully trust Him.
- It is very comforting to acknowledge that I have a sure refuge, that I may go to Him at any time with my heart's concerns.
- I have a Lord! He is my Lord! Because of that I am secure.
- I must recognize that apart from Him I have no good, and I am nothing. But in Him I am richly blessed.
- God is my ultimate good and supplies all my need (according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.) Philippians 4:19
- I have a beautiful and wonderful inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade, reserved for me in heaven. 1 Peter 1:4
- The path for living this life on earth is laid out for me (through His Word).
- I have no greater joy than when I am basking in His presence (through prayer, praise and worship.)
- The pleasures of knowing Him are full and eternal. And don't you know that once we are with Him in heaven, free from the clutching claws of sin, the eternal pleasures will be indescribably delightful?