Wednesday, November 9, 2011

For Him


Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!  
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
  Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!...
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for Himself;
the Lord hears when I call to Him...
There are many who say, "Who will show us some good?
  Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!" 
You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.
  In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
  Psalm 4: 1,3,6-8

In light of the enemies that surrounded him, David cried to the Lord.  Why could he ask so confidently for God to help him?  He knew that in the past, God had answered his prayers.  And the reason that he knew he would hear from Him was that He had been set apart, sanctified.

Have you ever really considered that if you belong to God through faith in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, you have been set apart for God?  The book of Colossians tells us that we were created by Him and for Him.  Have you ever wondered why in the world He made man when He had the angels in heaven to fellowship with, when He is completely sufficient in Himself?  Me, too.  But the Scripture says that we were made for Him, for His pleasure, for His glory.

Though many may ask God for good in order to indulge themselves, and though many live in self-indulgence, we may say with David, "You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.   In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

There is no greater joy than the joy of knowing and being known by the Savior of mankind.  May we live for Him, for His pleasure, for His glory!

Feeling very blessed,
Gloria 

0 comments:

Post a Comment