Friday, April 1, 2011

Complacency vs. wisdom

We spent a warm, enjoyable 10 days in
sunny Southern and Central Florida. The cold and rain back home is chilling! But it is always good to get back to the routine of daily living.


Complacency vs Wisdom

The most memorable definition that I have heard of wisdom is this:
"Wisdom is seeing life from God's perspective."
I often pray for wisdom when I am seeking the right answer to a situation. I want God's perspective.
But how do I obtain it?



Proverbs 1:1-6:
" The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth--Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles."

There is much wisdom in the Proverbs, the book of wisdom. But how do we absorb and utilize the wisdom found in the Proverbs?

Proverbs 1:7:
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction."

My favorite definition of the fear of the Lord:
"The fear of the Lord is the painful but motivating awareness that
God is watching, weighing and judging every one
of my words, thoughts, actions and attitudes."

Now that will put the fear of the Lord in you!


So according to the Proverbs, the first step to wisdom is to fear God. Somehow I think that that entails more than just an awesome awareness of God, as important as that is. I am afraid to slip into sin and complacency because I know that my most loving Father is a just and righteous God who does not allow sin to go unpunished.

com·pla·cen·cy (km-plsn-s)n.
1. A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

Proverbs 1:32-33: "For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster."


Thank you for reading, and it is my prayer for all of us that we will listen to the wisdom of our eternal God and apply it to our lives.
Gloria

2 comments:

Cranberry Morning

Good post, Gloria. I've also learned over the years that wisdom is not found while my mouth is open, but when I'm quiet, reflecting on God's Word.

Grace on the Narrow Path

Excellent post my friend. God is faithful to lead and direct us.
Blessings,
Bren

Post a Comment