Thursday, April 28, 2011

Keeping the Prayer-waves Open

"If one turns away his ear from hearing the law,
even his prayer is an abomination."

Proverbs 28:9

Of all the verses in chapter 28 of Proverbs, this one struck me as significant for my time of meditation today. I began to remember
other verses in the Scriptures that speak of ineffective prayer.
As I spend time each day in prayer, I do not want my petitions,
my intercessions, my praise and thanksgiving to be "ceiling prayers."

So what do I need to avoid?


1. I must not ignore God's law.

Some say that the law of the Old Testament does not apply
to us today. That is not so. Jesus said:

"For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished."
Matthew 5:18

The law is a teacher to bring us to Christ (Galatians 3:24). It's importance cannot be minimized. At the point that we receive Christ as Savior and Lord, we are under a new law, a greater law: the law of love.
(Matthew 22:37) on which hangs all the Law and the Prophets.


2. I must not allow sin to linger in my heart.

"If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord
would not have listened."
Psalm 66:18

Prompt confession of sin keeps the prayer-waves open.


3. I must always check my motives.

"You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly,
to spend it on your passions."

James 4:3

I'm sure there are other reasons that God refuses our prayers, but these are the ones that He burdened me with this morning.
That's plenty to work on today!


Do you think of other reasons in the Scripture for ineffective prayer? If so, comment so that we may all be encouraged.

Thank you for reading,
Gloria

2 comments:

Cranberry Morning

Such good Scriptural reminders. Always, my favorite has been the one you quote, 'If I hide iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.' We cannot have it both ways, can we. That's why it's so important to live a life of daily repentance. Thank you for this good post, Gloria.

LV

Thank you for a wonderful inspiring post. Great words for all of to remember and practice.

Post a Comment