Tuesday, April 12, 2011

There are Two Ways to Say It

"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Proverbs 12:18

Have you ever experienced the "sword thrust" of a sharp tongue
that lashed out before thinking? I'm sure you have, and
you know how it pierces.

Even worse, have you ever spoken those rash words before
thinking what they might do to someone?
I'm sure that most of us have.

Over the past 43 years of marriage and 40 years of motherhood,
concerning this I have learned two things:


1. When the sword of rash words has been thrust into me, the worst time to retort is immediately afterward. It only provokes more anger or more harsh words.

The Psalmist said, "Be angry, and do not sin;
ponder on your own beds, and be silent."
Psalm 4:4


2. When I have become angry and thrust that sword into one that I love, I must not let the anger kindle like a smoldering fire. The result will be that I become bitter and my loved one will suffer the pain of the wounds without the salve of sought forgiveness.

The apostle Paul said:
"Be angry and do not sin;
do not let the sun go down on your anger,
and give no opportunity to the devil."

Ephesians 4:26


The swifter the reconciliation, the less the pain of the sword!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we would all just heed
the words of encouragement from the apostle James:


"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear,
slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not
produce the righteousness that God requires."
James 1:19-20


As we try to keep our "swords" in our mouths
and forgiveness on our tongues,
have a blessed day,
Gloria

3 comments:

Cranberry Morning

An errant word can ruin a relationship. I think we should pray each morning (preferably before we get out of bed) that we guard our words and honor the Lord with them. After all, we seldom regret having said something kind.

Charity

I would comment, but I'm holding my tongue! :)
No really, such a good reminder. Thanks, mom.

Rebekah

OHHH, you really hit me this morning. Stop doing that!! Thanks, mom

Post a Comment