Saturday, February 26, 2011

A City Without Walls

"A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls."
Proverbs 25:28

When our children were small I directed a children's musical for our church.
One of the songs went like this:

"Self control--it's just controlling yourself.
It's listening to your heart and doing what is smart.
Self-control is the very best way to be, so use a little self-control."

In some things that is so effortless. I can use perfect self-control with alcohol, drugs, bad language, any many other things. But then there is food! I find myself often like "a city broken into and left without walls."

How can that be?

I have often said that food is my thorn in the flesh. Although it has much to do with the flesh, I think that it is not a thorn; I just let my walls fall down. I can do all things through Christ who pours the power into me. (Phil.4:13), and yet I cannot use self-control in the area of food? How disgraceful!

So what do I do about this?

I call it WW (you know, like AA). I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, so when I see that my walls are broken down and I am defenseless, I go for help. Something in me rebels against this, because I feel that I should not need this crutch. But the Proverb says, "Where there is no guidance a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety." v.14

I run for safety

I am presently rebuilding my walls with a combination of prayer and counselors. I only have a few pounds to lose. I'm not so concerned about that as I am self-control. I want to please God, to keep my city intact.

Is your city intact?

Thanks for reading my blog
Gloria




1 comments:

Grace on the Narrow Path

Hey,
Enjoyed this post today. It seems many of us struggle with food adiction. I do believe for many Christians food is the acceptable adiction, because it maintains our bodies. I understand my friend and I am standing in prayer for you and for me.
Blessings,
Bren

Post a Comment