Thursday, December 29, 2011

The King and His Bride



Your throne, O God, is forever and ever.
The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness;

you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness.
Psalm 45:6,7a

Psalm 45  is one of the most beautifully poetic psalms in the Scriptures.  It is replete with wonderful descriptive phrases about, I believe, our Lord and His bride, the church.  It speaks of His beauty, His strength, His power, His majesty, His reign, and the eternality of His reign.

And then it speaks of His bride.  That's me!  What does He say about me?  I am beautiful, and I am glorious. In my robes of interwoven gold (robes of righteousness?) I am allowed to go with joy and gladness to my King. 

Oh, how unworthy I feel.  I don't feel beautiful; I eat too much and need to lose a few pounds.  I'm getting gray and wrinkled, and my back aches and my bones hurt.  I don't always season my words with grace.  I neglect things that I need to do--things that are important.  I don't have the standing with others that I once did.  They see me now as older and not so much needed as counsel or support.  Why would the King want me?

He wants me because He doesn't see me as I see myself or as others do.  He sees me clothed in the royal robes of His righteousness.  He sees me as one for whom He gave His life's blood. He nailed all of my ugliness to His cross and made me forever young.  

Oh, how that causes me to want to serve my King as His royal bride!  Don't think I am being too bold in saying that He has written about me in His Book.  If you are His, you are also His bride; you may claim the same royal privilege.  I am overwhelmed with wonder that "in joy and gladness I may enter the palace of my King." (see verses 13-15)
Join me, will you?
Gloria


0 comments:

Post a Comment