Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Charlie Brown Christmas (The Meaning of Christmas)



My soul, wait you only upon God; 
for my expectation is from him. 
Psalm 62:5

I wasn't planning to write a post today since it is Christmas morning, but I read my dear friend Angie's post, and it reminded me of a very important and life-changing Christmas long ago in my life.  I would like to share it with you in hopes that it will give you the same joy for Christmas as it gives to me in remembrance.  I shared it with my granddaughter who "spent the night" with us last night.  (Her family lives downstairs!)

My expectations for the "Christmas" as we know it in the good ole USA died when I was a young girl and I dropped and broke a gift my aunt had given to my grandmother. My grandmother  became so angry with me that it ruined my "Christmas," and each year at Christmas there was a sadness until I realized that Christmas is about CHRIST, not us. 

No expectations, not disappointment! Now I can rejoice in the fact that my Jesus is the real reason for my celebration of Christmas.  Oh, I still buy gifts and love to give them, but I am not expectting any great feeling of joy over the giving or receiving of gifts.  You know, kids can be ungrateful (just as adults can), or things can be dropped and broken.  They likely will be at some time or other before the Christmas holidays are over.  But the great fact that our Lord Jesus came in the flesh, lived a perfect life, and died a cruel death--all for me and other sinners like me--can never be taken away.  My Christmas will last all year long--every year and through eternity. 

Celebrating CHRISTmas all year long,
Gloria

0 comments:

Post a Comment