Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Perfect Gift

"Do not be deceived, my brothers.  
Every good and perfect gift is from above, 
coming down from the Father of lights 
with who there is no variation or shadow due to change."  
James 1:16

 James has written to the readers about trials and temptation.  We saw that temptation is an allurement to do what is wrong.  Now he tells us not to be deceived.  Deceived about what?  

In context it appears that he is inadvertently telling his audience not to let the thought that God is responsible for our temptations (or our yielding to them) dominate their minds.  Since He cannot be tempted with evil, nor does He tempt any man to do evil, then we cannot deceive ourselves into thinking that it is He who is doing some inconceivable cruelty to us by causing temptation that we just can't bear up under.
But what about trials?  In our flesh trials seem like a horrible thing.  Why would a loving God allow trials in our lives?  As we saw in earlier verses, they are not bad, but beneficial to us as we count it all joy and steadfastly stand under testing.

I believe in my heart of hearts--not always in my flesh--that the trials of life are a part of that "good and perfect gift" from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation.  If testing can make us perfect and complete, lacking nothing, then they are a good and perfect gift from God. 

I thank my Lord that the trials that He allows in my life, though unpleasant at the time, are there to make me more like Him.

My sweet friend Angie, who lives daily with trials, posted a wonderful post today and listed eight things that will encourage you in the midst of trial.  Click on her name to see them. 
Desiring to stand strong,
Gloria

2 comments:

Cranberry Morning

I certainly do not intentionally invite trials into my life, but I hope that in the midst of them I will remember that God said that ALL things work together for good to those who are called, according to HIS purpose. Trusting Him, knowing that He has a purpose for it all...

Angelia

thanks for the link.
i'm glad we can trust God to never change

Post a Comment