Thursday, July 7, 2011

Life is Hard

"If the Lord had not been my help, 
my soul would soon  have lived in the land of silence. 
When I thought, 'My foot slips,' 
your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up. (ESV)
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
your comforts delight my soul. (NKJV)
  Psalm 94:17-19

One of the grandchildren has a very difficult time with math.  The other day as we were working on some multiplication problems she became so discouraged and felt that she was beyond help.  Her problem seems so minor to us as we look at all of the things that people are dealing with in this very hard world.  Yet she needed help and comfort at that time in order to be able to press on.

I'm learning that yes, whatever we are going through in life may be minor as compared to the horrors that others experience.  We do well to remember that in our anxious moments.  And yet there are times of anxiety in our lives, sometimes debilitating no matter how small they may seem in light of the big picture, that we must recognize and deal with.

When our soul is at the point of "living in the land of silence," when our spirits are sinking at their lowest level, who can we depend on for help?  Maybe a wise and loving friend can help a little, but  we can always rely on the Lord.

When our foot begins to slip into the slough of despair, what can we depend on to hold us up?  The arm of flesh?  No.  Remembering the steadfast love of the Lord, we are sustained.

And perhaps my favorite verse in the Psalms, verse 19:  "In the multitude of my anxieties with me, your comforts delight my soul."  Wherever we are in life, whatever undesirable situation we find ourselves in, however anxious we are, we have a Comforter.  My Father has big arms and a way about Him that brings delight to my soul as I take my anxious thoughts to Him.  The situation may not change, but my heart is cheered, my anxieties are calmed.  Oh, that you know my Comforter!

"Casting all your anxieties on Him,
for He cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7 

Just writing what I needed to hear,
Gloria

2 comments:

LV

Another great post filled with words of wisdom. The importance of things are different for each of us. Also, we all have our own struggles to bear.

Angelia

could you have hit the target any better? i dont think so. this post is right where im at. thank you for the scriptual back up to refer to.

Post a Comment